Review: Switched by Amanda Hocking

PhotobucketSwitched (Trylle Trilogy #1)
by Amanda Hocking
Publication Date: 5 January 2012
Publisher: Tor Teen
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4/5
Buy the Book: Amazon UK/US|B&N|Book Depository|
When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy discovers her mother might have been right.
With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - a world both beautiful and frightening, and Wendy's not sure she wants to be a part of it.|Goodreads|

Photobucket
I have to admit that once in awhile I do underestimate certain books, especially when they take a turn down an unfamiliar path. But as Robert Frost says, the road less traveled certainly makes all the difference, and that was definitely the case with Switched.  

Before I began Switched I was rather skeptical because I am not really one for fantasies. I have yet to try the fairy books that are going around and I was apprehensive to have trolls feature in my to read pile. But I applaud Amanda for having the 'guts' to take them on and to make them into such enjoyable and relate-able characters

The story follows Wendy, a social outcast and misfit in the human world but a respected and powerful element in the troll, or as they are referred to in Switched, Trylle world. I related to Wendy from the beginning because all of us at some point in time have felt out of place. Wendy is a very strong minded character and I admired that about her. She embraced her new life as best she could, even though it turns out to be slightly worse than the human world she came from (and that wasn't great either). I felt alot of empathy towards her and at times I wished her situation would turn around for the better. Surprisingly it did, in the form of the dark and brooding Finn.

Finn is a tracker sent out to bring back the children from the Trylle world. He is regarded as the best in his profession and is assigned to bring Wendy back. Throughout the course of the story a forbidden romance develops between Wendy and Finn. Being the noble gentleman that he is, Finn does his best to hinder any feelings he has for Wendy. Now, I have mentioned in the past that 'love at first glance' romances don't really appeal to me but this one was just too good not to get caught up in, probably because it is completely forbidden (and no I'm not going to tell you why). Finn is the ultimate paranormal hunk being that he is super sexy, a total gentleman and completely off limits. 

The side characters are really well developed and each has their own mystery and intrigue surrounding them. They all have a little something that they are hiding and I can't wait to find out what happens next. Even the villains bring a good scare factor to the story.

Switched is a quick read, with good pacing and story development. The characters are different and very exciting, and the romance is rather thrilling. Amanda's take on trolls blows the typical stereotype completely out of the water , and it's both refreshing and exhilarating. Trolls have never been sexier! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS