Review: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

PhotobucketAnna and the French Kiss
by Stephanie Perkins
Publication Date: 2 December 2010
Publisher: Penguin Group
Format: Paperback, borrowed
Rating: 5/5
Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited? |Goodreads|
Photobucket
It's been a while since I've read a YA contemporary book. With all the amazing paranormal and fantasy books being released every month, it's easy to overlook these precious gems sitting on the shelves in stores. Well...I'm glad I didn't pass this one up. 

I love contemporary YA and this book reminded me how long it's been since I'd read a really good one. The story follows a seventeen year old girl called Anna, whose father  sends her to an American boarding school in Paris against her wishes. At first Anna is very apprehensive of her new surroundings but all it takes is a good group of friends and an attractive and charming, yet totally 'off the market' guy to make her feel at home. 

I fell in love with Anna and the French Kiss for several reasons. The setting is so perfect. Does it get any more romantic than Paris? I think not. It was one of the first things that I adore about this story. The walks along the river Seine, the cafes and little patisseries they visit, all of it made me want to board a plane to Paris every time I picked up this book. 

I loved each and every character in this book. They all had there own unique qualities that either made me laugh out loud or burst out crying or just totally irritated me. Of course there is also the romance between Anna and Etienne St Claire which is perfectly written. It isn't one of these fast track loves that leaves you thinking, "this would never happen in real life'. It is one of the most real, honest and beautiful romances out there in the Young Adult genre and anyone who reads this story will relate to the characters. 

The story is paced very well and I never once found myself wanting it to move faster or slower. 

Overall Anna and the French Kiss is a stunning debut novel that takes the reader on the character's journey of self discovery, love and acceptance. Well written and beautifully crafted, this book makes it into my top five I've read this year. I can't wait to read the companion, Lola and the Boy Next Door!




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS