Review: Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

PhotobucketCarrier of the Mark
By Leigh Fallon
Publication Date: 4 October 2011
Publisher: HaperTeen
Format: Review Copy from Publisher
Rating: 4/5 Stars

From the moment she sets foot at her new school in Ireland, Megan is inexplicably drawn to the darkly handsome Adam DeRis. But Megan soon discovers that her feelings for Adam are tied to a supernatural fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that unites them could be their ultimate destruction. This electrifying debut novel was first discovered on inkpop.com. the online community for aspiring writers. THE CARRIER OF THE MARK sizzles with unbridled romance, a unique supernatural hook, and a breathtaking Irish setting, and will entice fans of the Need series by Carrie Jones and the House of Night series by P. C. and Kristin Cast. |Goodreads|

Photobucket
I found Carrier of the Mark a little difficult to get into but, about half way through, I was really glad that I had stuck it out. The story follows Megan, an American girl who moves to Ireland with her father. The beginning of the story was slightly predictable with the whole, new girl in school is intrigued by good looking, mysterious guy who keep throwing surly glances her way...you know the drill. But soon enough the plot morphs into a more original story line and things get a little interesting. 

The parts of the story I enjoyed include the setting, which I thought suited the story and definitely helped play up the mysteriousness of certain circumstances. Ireland as a setting is rather original and I think it works to the advantage of the book as a whole. The minor characters of the story add some humor which I enjoyed and they bring a sense of reality back to the forefront of the story. I loved her friends Jennifer and Caitlin for their fun teenage banter that they bring, and her father has such a kindhearted and easy going nature that it's easy to develop a soft spot for him. The guy Megan falls for, Adam, and his family were fun to read about because of their powers and, their family history was also an aspect I enjoyed (although I got a little confused during some parts). 

The romance that blossoms between Adam and Megan is a whirlwind one to say the least, which I found made it a little less believable. If it had had more of a gradual build up I think it would have been a bit more enjoyable for me. Towards the end of the story is where the actions kicks in and it didn't disappoint me at all. It lasts long enough not be boring but also rounds off the book really well. The series of events that lead up to it are really well written and had me feeling some goosebumps for the characters. 

All in all, Carrier of the Mark was a very light, enjoyable read and I am very excited to see where the next book takes the story. If the this book is anything to go by, the next one should be really good!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS