Follow Friday & TGIF


What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to books? Maybe you don't like love triangles or thin plots? Tell us about it!

My pet peeves would have to include: 


  • thin, under developed characters. It irritates me when a character is placed as in a certain role in a story and then they aren't fully explored or developed. It always makes me think of what could have been.
  • love stories that happen over night. Come on, you can't fall head over heels in love with someone in two days and have it be real and meaningful.
  • whenever I pick up a book and the story line begins like this: Girl moves to new town, girl starts new school, girls spots mysterious yet alluring boy from across the hallway, boy avoids girl for a week, next thing you know, girl & boy are completely & hopelessly in love with each other and are ready to stake their lives upon their relationship. This story line has been explored and done before countless times, and yes it has worked over the years, but now it's just plain boring. Any book that starts out like this you can skip to about halfway through and then you'll get to the interesting part of the story. Books like this, I avoid like the plague.
What are some of your pet peeves?



Photobucket

TGIF is hosted by Greadsbooks.com



Writing Reviews 101: What's your process for writing book reviews? 

My process of reviewing begins as soon as I pick up a book I know I'm going to be reviewing for the blog. I pride myself on taking time to read my books. I find that it helps in getting to know the characters really well and, it gives me a chance to really visualize the story and what's happening in each scenario. It's very rare for me to finish a book in two days. Once I've read the book I normally like to gather my thoughts and opinions on it, so I won't rush to my computer to write up a review. 

When writing I like to be as meticulous as I can with my grammar and spelling (although some mistakes can slip through. I'm only human). I can't have music or too much noise around me, so I make sure everything is quiet. I also like to check out Goodreads to see what other people had to say about the book. Maybe there is a thought shared that I hadn't considered or a different opinion on something that happened. I like to try and keep my reviews completely spoiler free but sometimes you can't share a thought without divulging a certain scene or plot line. I always keep my review honest and if I don't like something then I going to say I don't like it. 

Once I have finished my review I always double and sometimes triple check it. When I happy with everything, I post it. 

What is your method for reviewing books? Share your thoughts in the comments. I love hearing from fellow bloggers!

Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy whatever book you're reading!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS