Review: Destined by Jessie Harrell

Photobucket
Destined
by Jessie Harrell
Publication date: November 17th 2011
Publisher: Mae Day Publishing
Format: E-book, ARC
Rating: 4/5
When Psyche receives a prophecy gone horribly wrong, she learns that even the most beautiful girl in Greece can have a hideous future. Her fate? Fall in love with the one creature even the gods fear. As she feels herself slipping closer into the arms of the prophecy, Psyche must choose between the terrifyingly tender touch she feels almost powerless to resist and the one constant she's come to expect out of life: you cannot escape what is destined. Destined is a fresh and heartachingly romantic retelling of the Cupid & Psyche myth from debut novelist, Jessie Harrell.|Goodreads|


Photobucket
I won't keep any suspense going in this review because I have to started off by saying that I loved this book. This was my first try at a book with a historical setting and I really enjoyed it. I was so, so lucky to be given an advance copy of this book by the author and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

The story is actually a retelling of the Greek myth of Psyche and Eros. Before I read this book I looked up the actual myth on Wikipedia, just so that I had a foundation of the myth going into reading Destined. I have to say, this retelling is better than the myth. I thought it was really well told and is totally age appropriate. If I had young teens, I would be happy with them reading Destined. I liked the fact that it was kept young and lighthearted as well. It was alot of fun to read.

What I liked most about this book is that although it is set in ancient Greece the dialogue is still kept very modern and thus I could still relate to all the characters and the story line as well. It wasn't like I was reaching for my ancient Greek dictionary every five minutes and thinking 'what the heck is going on here?'. I liked the fact that characters used funny, modern day sayings and phrases, and I often found myself laughing at their reactions to the situations they found themselves in.

The main character, Psyche, is the perspective from whom the story is told and I fell in love with her from page one. She was kind and caring but also very stubborn and self assured. I like the way she changed throughout the story, going from a naive and innocent young girl to a strong and independent young woman, who wasn't afraid to risk her life for the loved she believed in. 

Another two characters I loved were Aphrodite and Eros. Aphrodite was so "kick-butt" and it was so fun whenever she was in a scene. She just brought this wonderful spunk and attitude to the story that I totally loved reading about.  And the twist at the end (trust me no spoilers shall be leaked) really made the story interesting. In my opinion, Aphrodite could have a book all of her own *hint, hint*. Eros was everything a romance story needs and more. He was dreamy and sweet, kind and loving and I think his character was written really well. I just really wish he hadn't been so stubborn and closed up in the beginning of the story, but then we wouldn't have had a story at all. It was like I wanted to shake him and say 'be a little bit more open minded!'. But throughout the story he does develop an open mind and he changes quite a bit so I was really happy for him.

Another thing I have to say...I love, love this cover! I am so in love with it. I am going to have to find myself a hard copy just so that it can look pretty on my shelf. But also because I really enjoyed the whole story and I loved having the chance to review it.

Destined is a great, fun read that will keep you entertained right up until the very end. Jessie Harrell, I look forward to seeing and reading more of your work in the future! Well done on Destined!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS