Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

PhotobucketThe Fault in Our Stars
by John Green
Publication Date: 10 January 2012
Publisher: Dutton Books
Format: Paperback
Rating: 5/5
Buy the Book: Amazon US/UK|B&N|Book Depo
Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.|Goodreads|
Photobucket
There comes a time in every avid reader’s ‘to-read pile’ when you pick up a book and have absolutely no clue that the book you hold in your hands will change the way you see or think about certain situations, forever. Sometimes that change is small, a minor blip in your day to day life. But, on the rare occasion, that change is like a huge bomb dive into a swimming pool, and it ripples through to the very core of your being. The Fault in Our Stars is one of those rare books that had that very effect on me.

The story centres around Hazel who, at sixteen, is a walking cancer miracle, having been diagnosed with stage 6 Thyroid cancer when she was 13. Thanks to the advancement in medicine and a powerful and effective drug, Hazel is still around, but she has become very disconnected from the world she was so prepared to leave 2 years earlier. Through her cancer support group she meets Augustus Waters, an attractive, smart and very funny guy whose cancer is in remission. Hazel and Augustus are seemingly perfect for each other and a beautiful romance ensues. But, this book wouldn’t be a perfect tear-jerker if there weren’t some heart-breaking twists along the way.

I fell in love with these characters from the moment I picked up this masterpiece of a novel. I found Hazel to be wonderfully charismatic and extremely funny when sharing her views on the world, which had me laughing at all the right moments. Even though she has a terminal illness, she never came across as depressed or self-centred, which made her even more endearing as a character to me. Augustus Waters has to be one of my all-time favourite male characters. He is such a kind, gentle and funny character and he makes the perfect match for Hazel. He is an all-round good guy and the world would be a much better place if we had more men like him around. He is, literally, the perfect boyfriend.

The plot made my heart ache at times and had me laughing out loud at times as well. The pacing was perfect, right down to the final full stop, and the writing was flawless. The Fault in Our Stars is a book I fell in over heels in love with and I cannot fault it in any way. The journey I went on with these characters was a magical rollercoaster ride of ups and downs, but I loved every minute of it. The Fault in Our Stars is a book that will stay with you for a very long time after you’ve turned the last page.





2 comments:

  1. I have not read this yet, but I must say this review was filled with such an intense emotional response. So powerful. This book has been criticized as "sick lit", and it is just truly amazing to see that it has touched you like this! I so got to buy it on Kindle or something until I move. Interesting that the parents are significantly present throughout the novel too. Uncommon in YA indeed.

    regards,
    grace of Hunting Knives

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're first paragraph describing how the book effected you is perfect. It's exactly how I feel about it! I absolutely loved tfios but it was on my reading list for a while and I can't believe I left it that long! Really good review.

    http://thebloggingbookshelf.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS